How to Get Rid of a Poison Ivy Rash
If there is one thing that you need to remember about poison ivy, it’s this one thing: avoid it at all cost. Poison ivy produces a sap that causes rashes and itchiness when you get in contact with it. The rashes produced when you get in contact with poison ivy are very painful and there is a tendency of getting an open wound if you scratch it.
Poison ivy rash is not fatal although infections can be acquired if it’s left untreated. The initial skin reaction to minor contact with it is itchiness. Scratching it unintentionally can definitely cause it to become an open wound. When this wound is left untreated, the open wound can cause infection to the body.
There are several treatments that can be applied to the poison ivy rash. Natural methods and a lot of other products such as creams can be used to get rid of poison ivy rash. Once you acquire this condition, you will need to make sure that you try everything to get rid of it. This is the only way to make sure that the condition doesn’t worsen:
Wash surface that come into contact with poison ivy
If you are made aware that there is poison ivy present in your area, it is important that you should remove it right away. When you attempt to remove them, you need to make sure that you wear the appropriate attire to avoid the sap making contact with the skin. After you have removed the poison ivy in your area, you need to make sure that you wash the clothes.
Also if you get in contact with poison ivy, wash every part of your body that has been exposed to the substance. This should include your hair, body, clothing and other surface that have come into contact with poison ivy. Scrub fingernails and apply rubbing alcohol to clean and remove any remaining particles of the sap.
Poison ivy rash is an allergic reaction to the skin which can be countered by using antihistamine. Antihistamine soothes the symptoms of allergic reaction which includes itching, burning and the swelling of the rashes. Antihistamines provide instructions regarding the right amount of dosage that you need to take. You can also visit your doctor to get the right information regarding the use of this type of medicine.
Apply calamine or lotion
Since poison ivy rash can have a burning sensation, one of the things that can be used to soothe this burning sensation is by applying calamine or lotion to the affected area. The different type of lotions can relieve the itching and can dry up the wound faster.
Keep the rash dry
Moisture can greatly increase the bacterial presence in the area of the wound. You may want to make sure that the rash is maintained dry. There are ointments that you can buy which can help relieve the burning sensation of the rash as well as dry it up.
Avoid scratching the rash since this can inflict wound to your skin and can worsen the condition. If you scratch the rash, the blisters can open which can infect the wound. Ointments can also help in relieving the itchiness of the rash which means it would also lessen the chance of you scratching the wound. Also, allow the rash to be exposed to air to keep it dry as well.
Other Articles To Enjoy